« New Arrivals May 2015

The Nabataean Temple at Khirbet et-Tannur

The Nabataean Temple at Khirbet et-Tannur

Bookmark the permalink.

The Nabataean Temple at Khirbet et-Tannur
Volume 1: architecture and Religion

Judith S. McKenzie, Joseph A. Greene, Andres T. Reyes, Catherine S. Alexander, Deirdre G. Barrett, Brian Gilmour,
John F. Healey, Margaret O’Hea, Nadine Schibille, Stephan G. Schmid, Wilma Wetterstrom, and Sara Whitcher Kansa, with contributions by Kate da Costa, Patrick Degryse, Kathy Eremin, Sheila Gibson, Owen Gingerich, and Elias Khamis

Khirbet et-Tannur is a Nabataean site dating from the second century B.C. to the 4th to 6th centuries A.D. located above Wadi el-Hasa near Khirbet edh-Dharih. In 1937, Nelson Glueck excavated Khirbet et-Tannur on behalf of the American Schools of Oriental Research and the Department of Antiquities of Transjordan, but died before completing a final report.

Now in two extensively illustrated volumes, the results of Glueck’s excavations are finally published, based on previously unstudied excavation records and archaeological materials in the ASOR Nelson Glueck Archive at the Semitic Museum, Harvard University.

Volume 1 is devoted to the architecture of the temple, the dating of its successive phases, its sculptural decoration and iconography, and to a discussion of Nabataean religion. The volume closes with observations about iconoclasm at Khirbet et-Tannur, Khirbet edh-Dharih and Petra.